St John's Episcopal Cathedral, Oban
St John’s Cathedral,
The Provost, The Very Revd Nicola McNelly,
Oban, PA34 5DJ
We extend a warm welcome to all and the Cathedral is open every day. You are welcome to join us for midweek communion on Wednesdays at 11am, and for Sunday services at 8.00am or 10.15am. Or alternatively just come in any time for a look around or to spend some time in quiet reflection.
St John’s Cathedral, Oban is the Mother Church of the historic United Diocese of Argyll & the Isles, within the Scottish Episcopal Church.
When Oban was but a village the present church site was open fields. Two local lairds, McDougall of Dunollie and Campbell of Dunstaffnage, were crucial to the building project, and both families are still connected with the congregation. The surprising interior of the building is the result of unfinished construction, the riveted joists buttressing the grand new cathedral against the original simple church.
The painted reredos above the high altar depicts the Ascension of Christ into heaven. The landscape is of the west of Scotland and the faces of the disciples are faces of members of the 1910 congregation!
Back to Argyll Churches